6 Ways to Be Happy
People often ask me, "What is the key to happiness?" To them, I must say that there is no lock or latch on the door of delight. You just have to push or pull it. It will open wide and you can easily enter the treasure land of joy. Happiness is a mental state which has to be cultivated. It cannot be bought or sold, weighed or measured. It has nothing to do with your material possessions or your professional status. It comes from inside. It is the song of the soul and the music of the heart.
Here, in this article, let me take the privilege of suggesting some of the ways to be happy. It is my way. So don't get swayed away by my broad generalisations. Everyone has to discover his own way.
1. Log on to inner net - Instead of fruitlessly searching the mysterious word on the google, it is much better to log on to your inner net. Probe your mind to find the feeling within. It is very easy to travel thousands of kilometres from one end of the globe to another. But the inner journey is very tedious. The smallest distance is the hardest to cover. But that is the surest way to happiness. Without inner connect, you cannot experience everlasting blissfulness.
2. Follow your passion – Do whatever you like. Make your passion your profession. But many a time, there is a discrepancy between your choice and your career. In that case also, try to love what you do and find sometime for your hobby. It can be anything like games, music, painting, photography, travelling, sight-seeing, keeping pets or watching movies. Liking what you do & being satisfied with what you have — these are the two best sources of happiness.
3. Read many things and write something – Reading good literature is also very enjoyable and pleasurable. It is informative as well as enlightening. Interaction with great minds of different ages always provides valuable insights and life-lessons. I know that everyone cannot pen down his thoughts and feelings in a creative and artistic way but I am sure that everyone can jot down his sweet and sour experiences in a diary. You will love your personal treasure as a child loves his crude and clumsy drawing.
4. Be a nature lover and a beauty watcher – Watch beauty that is spread all around you so abundantly. “A thing of beauty is a joy for ever”, says Keats. Smell the sweet fragrance of flowers. It is more enchanting than perfumes. Feel the soft caress of the gentle wind that kisses your cheeks. Hear the musical melody of the winged wonders of the world. Dew drops on the colourful petals are prettier than pearls. In fact, beautiful things give more pleasure than functional things. When you are in the company of nature, a feeling of unity and oneness with the vast and varied forms of life suddenly descends upon you and a heightened sense of awareness engulfs your consciousness.
5. Spend time with family and friends - Spend some quality time with your family, friends and children. I must suggest that everyone should marry because it is the most beautiful experience of togetherness. Re-live your childhood with your kids. Plan a holiday or go for outing. Snatch happy moments from your busy schedules to enjoy with your loved ones. Chat with your friends. Sharing old memories is like going into the flashback of pleasant times. Relaxation with close relatives and friends breaks the monotony of routine life and refreshes and rejuvenates you. Meet even strangers with a friendly smile. Don’t wear a fake smile like an air-hostess or a hotel receptionist. Genuine smile on your lips is a powerful weapon which can disarm even your enemies.
6. Be a selfless giver – Real joy is in giving. Do something for others without any expectation. Service is the rent which you pay for your existence on this earth. Share with others whatever you have – whether it is knowledge, money or time. Even if you don’t have knowledge or wealth, you still have enough time to do some fruitful and philanthropic work. Nothing else is more satisfying and fulfilling than generosity. Winston Churchill rightly said, “We make a living by what we get but we make a life by what we give.”
Follow these principles and feel immense and immeasurable joy in life. Happiness is like scented sandal paste. If you apply it on the forehead of others as tilak, your fingers will also get fragrant.